Keith O’Brien – The Mentalist – Who Was He?

by on September 9, 2012

in Entertainment

The Mentalist Keith O'Brien episode Dedication

In the fourth season episode of The Mentalist, ep No. 22, titled “So Long, and Thanks for All the Red Snapper,” it closes out with a dedication splash screen saying “In Loving Memory or Keith O’Brien.

Keith O’Brien was a driver that worked with the production of The Mentalist. He had lost a battle with cancer, and the show paid tribute to him with the closing homage, to one of their own. I saw reference to the tribute, but I dug until I found a source of info on his passing.

Ashley Gable, a writer who contributed to 12 episodes of The Mentalist, had replied to some online inquiries about the dedication and had this to say about Keith:

“Keith was a Teamster (driver) on the show. A man with a beautiful voice & an even better smile, he died of cancer during 422 prep.”

[twitter]

She further added:

“we thought an episode about sad goodbyes would be the perfect one to dedicate to Keith. He will be missed. Lovely man. “

[twitter.com]

=

No one should ever have to suffer through such an ugly experience as cancer. Ever. I don’t care who you are. (I have some contribution links in the sidebar of my site, because like I say, all it takes is $1. For example, if 5 million people watched a fund raiser telethon in the battle against cancer, and everyone who watched only contributed $1, well, as you can see, this is why it would add up.)

Our thoughts go out to Mr. O’Brien’s friends and family.

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Alexandra Ehya January 24, 2017 at 11:13 am

Just watched the episode…a bit late but i thought i should find out more…i’m deeply sorry for your loss Michael and my sincere condolences to your family.

Morok July 7, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Rest in peace, Keith OBrien. Even in Siberia now know about you and your work.

Thor June 7, 2016 at 12:08 am

Kind of late, but just saw this episode, with the caption at the end, so like others above, looked into it.
From a fan of your show and with much respect to your crew/family, many condolences.

paul hunter April 24, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Thank you so much, i had to laugh when i seen this! i always wondered who these people were…. when it seems so sad when they get mentioned now and again….
I snapped..! I had to find out who Keith O’Brien was even though i thought i had no chance of finding out.. there you go.!
But some one like you will always be there now to put us straight… good work and thanks again,, Paul Hunter ireland

Sumit April 7, 2016 at 11:32 am

Was just watching E22 Season 4 of the Mentalist, here in India. Saw a reference in the credits to Keith O’Brien, and felt I should find out more. Led me to here. Thanks for sharing the info, and sorry about your loss Michael and others.

Joan Young January 20, 2016 at 4:00 am

Have just watched series 4 so sorry for the loss of one of your own.

raymond frendo December 17, 2015 at 8:20 am

just watched the episode….very bad to hear about the loss of O’Brien….. RIP KIETH
and by the way….congratulations just can’t stop seeing Patrick Jane an co ……

Bosun Adebola April 28, 2014 at 10:32 am

Michael, I’m so sorry for your loss. Just like Peter Daniel, I had to just search after watching that episode and I can see Keith had a positive impact on everyone he came across.
He is in a better place now.. All the very best. Love from Nigeria.

Peter Daniel March 10, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Dear Michael, we are right now watching The Mentalist season 4 and, reading the dedication of s422 to Keith, searched for background information. We are very sorry for your loss. As an oncologist, I can make an educated guess of what your family experienced. We are glad that your brother in law left such a positive memory!
All the best and thank you for sharing.

Eman December 14, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Thank you for sharing this story. RIP

Onoh November 6, 2013 at 5:57 am

we are currently watching S4 on cable here in Japan. with family members, both survivors and those who lost their battles, it was a touching read. thank you sharing with the world.

very sorry for the loss of such a great person. may memories be your comfort.

Jorge August 12, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Sad but beautiful story of common people like me… Thank you Keith!

Bruce Simmons December 1, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Michael… thank you. I appreciate you’re chiming in and I’m am truly sorry for your loss. -Bruce

Michael Henry December 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Keith O’Brien Sr. was my brother in law. I knew him my entire life and also worked with him, and for him on many television shows and films. I was looking at the title “Driver” and while it certainly was his working title on this particular show, the word just doesn’t even begin to encompass the man’s experience, talents, and intelligence. In the film industry, he was also one of the most efficient, effective and conscientious Transportation Captain’s this industry has ever seen. I traveled and worked with Keith all over the U.S. and I can say without equivocation that he was the best. Outside of work he was always a very popular guy, but he always had a humility about that. He had a fantastic singing voice, and his life could easily have been very different if he had pursued that in his early years, but Keith was always a hard worker; A hands-on, up before dawn, self-motivator, who never tried to avoid a back-breaking task.
I learned a lot from Keith, and will always miss him.