So are they or aren’t they in The Avengers?
The Joss Whedon directed movie, The Avengers, which is coming to movie theaters on May 4th, 2012, has everyone playing guessing games on who the bad guy is. Don’t all movies get fans going about one thing or another? For all the speculation, it will be over when the movie comes out… or when early reviews hit the web. But hence, so far, folks have been speculating that the primary forces of evil (Not the real bad guy I’m thinking) will be the Skrulls. That rumor popped up a long time ago and isn’t going away.
But even though it’s a persistent rumor, just a few weeks ago Marvel producer Kevin Feige was even saying, in his best adamant mode, that the Skrulls are not the bad guy. In fact he’s said that the Skrulls aren’t even in the movie.
“It’s not Skrulls, I’ve been clear about that. Beyond that, we want to hide it. The identity of the alien race is not impactful. It exists in the comic books, but we’re not setting up the Kree-Skrull war or anything like that.”
He also says there will be no Red Skull.
But folks aren’t convinced. They think it’s a misdirect. And that’s been done before. I was “had” with the TV series Supernatural, when the showrunner there said that Jim Beaver is good to go for years to come, and then his character gets killed off. Then they placated fans by saying, but is dead really dead? Phfft!
We know Loki is in it, with Tom Hiddleston reprising the role from the Thor movie. We also know that Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, The Hulk, Nick Fury, & Agent Coulson are in the movie. But I also know that when he wants to, director Joss Whedon can be pretty tricky about things.
The latest “evidence that the Skrulls are in the movie” comes from a toy fair where someone spotted a board game based on the upcoming The Avengers movie, and the bad guys are all-purple little figures that do indeed, look like the Skrulls. So there you have it… right? They look like, hence they must be! Then again, I’ve seen Iron Man toys “from the movie” that are suits of armor, giant guns, weird contraptions he rides and what not, that have never shown up in a movie, ever.
Below is a toy from “Iron Man 2″
So sure, toys could be good spoiler sources, but they sometimes deviate a little to far for my taste.
The latest Movie Trailer for The Avengers
After the latest movie trailer that played during the Super Bowl, everyone was dissecting the clip trying to freeze frame the clip to figure out who is piloting some of the little bad-guy ships flying around and being beat. When you can see the bad guys flying the ships, you can see they’re armored figures. Not purple figures.
IF I were to try to dissect the movie trailer…
- There’s an Avengers Quinjet landing on an aircraft carrier. (10 second mark.)
- … Wait… aircraft carrier? Or was that our first look at the S.H.I.E.L. D. Hellicarrier? The ocean does seem to be right below the deck, so don’t hold me to that one!
- There’s a guy shooting down on the street, it looks like Loki in his big horned helmet. (12 second mark) Would this be Loki riding an Atomic Steed?
- That Tony Stark’s new way to get the armor on involves walking through a machine, or at least that he can get the armor on while walking. (20 second mark)
- That there are armored bad guys (I presume bad) jumping off a ship in one scene at the 28 second mark. Fully armored… can’t see them.
- The bad guys come out of a hole in the sky. (34 second mark)
- There’s a huge blue beam coming out that same hole. (Cosmic cube transporter beam???)
- That they cut the Black Widow’s hair too short.
Dang it, I wasn’t going to dissect the trailer… now look what you have gone and made me do!
Oh, one more detail that I did see… was that this looks like a pretty awe-inspiring movie trailer! And I’ve heard/seen that the movie will play out being told from the perspective of Steve Rogers.
The Avengers Super Bowl Movie Trailer
“I have an Army.”
“We have a Hulk!”
The cast includes Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgård , Samuel L. Jackson.
Below are the sources used…
Crave Online: The Avengers Hellicarrier and Quinjet toy looks: